Sunday, August 5, 2007

There's no need to fear....

This past week Amy and Grace took me to Boston for my birthday. It was a fantastic trip. We had dinner at Legal Seafood and walked the streets of my favorite city. On Thursday Amy got us tickets to go see the Sox beat the O's 7-4. It was a great game that was highlighted by Grace cheering, clapping and booing as she watched her dad go a little crazy throughout the game. It was great. The day we left we went a bought some Red Sox t-shirts with the players name a number on the back. I was having a hard time deciding whether I should get a Kevin Youkilis #20 or a Dustin Pedroia #15. These are my two favorite Red Sox, not Papi or Schill or Manny. Nope. I love those guys, but for some reason these are my guys. I have a Trot Nixon jersey hanging in my closet because the whole time he was a Red Sox he was my favorite player. I love these guys and Amy recently asked me why. I told her it is because I love the guys that come up through the Sox farm system. All of these guys were drafted and eventually made their way up to make a key contribution to my favorite team. But as I thought about it more this was not the reason at all. The reason why Youk and Pedroia are my favorite Sox is because I feel like we have something in common...we are underdogs.

Both Youk and Pedroia are fantastic players, but they are not blessed with any special physical gift. Both do not have professional athlete bodies and neither really looks the part. Youk spent most of 2004 and 2005 riding the shuttle between Pawtucket and Boston, never sure how long he would be in either place. After the Sox decided to part ways with 3rd basemen Bill Mueller in the 2005, it appeared that he would have a permanent spot on the Sox. But then they traded for Mike Lowell and Youk once again was left to wonder what would happen next. They placed him at first and during the whole off season their were still rumors that the front office was trying to find another 1st basemen to fill the spot. They signed JT Snow because the felt they would need him to fill in defensively and you have to believe that Youk once again felt if he had a place.

Dustin Pedroia is a different story. He was always a favorite of the front office in Boston. He quickly moved through the minors and hit a every level. This season he won the job in spring training and appeared ready to be the everyday 2nd basemen. There a few problems though. One, in a late season call up on 2006 he was awful. He hit just .192 and had an OPS of .561. Most people, including Bill Simmons, thought he was over matched and the Sox had made a mistake. His second obstacle was the first month of 2007. Once again the only word to describe it was awful. He hit .182 and had an OPS of .544. He was getting worse and Alex Cora was putting up Big Papi type numbers(.360/ OPS 1.007) Everyone and I mean everyone, was calling for Pedroia to be benched and Cora to be the Sox 2nd basemen.

But things changed for both of these players. Youk gained value as a lead off hitter and played everyday. He mastered the art of playing first base, not his natural position, and is key part of this 2007 team. Pedroia never lost his job and has made the Sox very happy for the decision to stick with him. In May he hit .415 and had an unbelievable OPS of 1.072 and is now permanently sitting a top the Sox lineup. Both of these guys overcame the notion that maybe they were not cut out to make in the Majors and are both proving that not only do they belong, but they are key parts to the team with the best record in baseball.

Now, this next part is going to get quite cheesy but it must be written anyway. How does this apply to me? When I started out at the University of Utah I was an awful student. When I finished my first semester my grades were high enough to keep me off academic probation, but low enough that I got put on academic warning. I spent the next almost 3 years serving as missionary in both Brasil and Washington, learning what it takes to succeed. I returned home and went right back to school needing to prove that I belong. I had no critics around me, my family all believing that I could do it, besides myself. Over the next 3 years my study habits got better and I graduated by making the dean's list 2 of my last 3 semesters. I had proven myself wrong. This fall I will be attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to obtain a Master of Health Care Administration. When I applied to UNC I did not believe I had a chance of gaining admittance. I would tell people that I did not think I would even go if I got, mostly to protect myself so when I did not get in I could just say I would not have even gone. I was surprised when I was asked to interview and then could not believe who I was interviewing with. The other students there attended schools like Harvard, Yale and Stanford and I felt intimidated, like I did not belong. How could I be in a room with students of that caliber? A few weeks passed and to my surprise I was accepted and a few weeks later we decided that would be were we would attend. Once again I am my own worst critic. I feel like I am entering a school were I do not belong and very soon others will know it. I feel like an underdog, but this time an underdog who knows he can do it.



Amy found a way for me to get both the Youk and Pedroia shirts. These guys are my reminder what underdogs can accomplish.












1 comment:

Alan & Allison said...

Happy belated birthday, Sam! Oh, and although Ben is tough, he doesn't beat up cute little girls like Grace! ;) j/k