Tuesday, July 31, 2007

KG to my Celts...and what it means for my Sox


I was gone most of yesterday and had no idea what was going on in the sports world. I believed it to be a slow day because my Sox were not playing and what could possibly happen. So you have to imagine my surpise as I turned on the computer and went to boston.com/sports and saw that is slow day had really turned into what could be a huge trade for the basketball franchise I have always cheered for, but has been awful for the longest time. Kevin Garnett was coming to play in Boston? I still cannot believe it. 3 all-stars, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and KG, on one team? I was not sure how to feel about this at first, but then I thought about it some more and came to this conclusion...bring on the NBA season. I am not sure if I have even thought that since the early 90's. My next thought was very simple...Kevin McHale was always my favorite player on the Celtics when I was growing up. I loved the way he played and I loved the size of his heart. Now, he is my favorite GM. I cannot believe he would give up such a talented player for nothing...but I won't go into this because Bill Simmons already has. Instead I will link this is some way, as I probably always will, to my beloved Red Sox and what this means as the trade deadline fast approaches.
This next sentence is going to sound completley and utterly ridiculous...Theo Epstien could learn from Danny Ainge right now. Before you stop reading because you think I have lost my mind let me make my argument and then you can tell me how stupid I am. Trading for KG will do one of two things, make the Celts a Contender or do absolutely nothing and they will continue to be medicore. I believe this will make them a contender, but mostly because the East, especially the Atlantic Division, is awful. BUT no matter what happens to the Celts in the end, this was a trade that Ainge needed to complete and he knew it. Most of the players he gave up were awful, but he did give up a future star in Al Jefferson. Most people, especially baseball people, are very much against the idea of giving up young, promising stars for known commidities. This why the Mets never got Manny because they were afraid to give up players that MIGHT become all-stars. This has never made any sense to me. I am not saying that one should mortage their future for an aging star, but does it not make sense to trade for something you know will work and all you are giving up is something that could possibly work? Danny Ainge has done this. For better or for worse he has put his job in the line and my respect for him as GM increased. In 2004 my respect for Theo Epstein as a GM was at the highest point it could possibly be and this is not because that was the year the Red Sox pulled off the greatest comeback in the history sports and went in the win the World Series. It is because he put his job on the line and made one of the toughest trades you could possibly make. I remember driving in the car with Amy as it was announced the Sox had traded Nomar, the face of the franchise. I was so angry I turned off the radio before we even heard who the Sox had gotten back. Eventually I heard about the 3 players the Red Sox had gotten, OC, Mienkvetasdaz and Dave Roberts. None of them were all-stars, but as I looked at the 3 players I felt a little better about what had happened. Theo did not know these 3 players would help the Sox win, but he did not feel they could win with type of team they currently had. The facts are the facts, the Sox did went on to win the World Series and they would not have without these 3 players. Theo took a chance, put his job on the line and helped the Sox twin the Series. Now he sits back in his cushy office, on his chair made of money, wearing that ridiculous Gorilla suit and makes lots of phone calls with little action. The Sox have been liked to both Jermaine Dye and Eric Gagne, but nothing has actually happened. I think he needs to sit down and look at the options and pull the trigger. Dye would give the Sox a righthanded hitting outfielder, who is a pull hitter-perfect for Fenway, that can spell Drew, Crisp, Youk, Lowell, Manny and Papi. He would help them not miss a beat when he is in the game and give the Red Sox a much better bench. Gagne would help turn every Red Sox game into a 6 inning game. Whether or not he is the closer the Red Sox could pitch Okijima, Paps and Gagne at the end of the games. This would be mean that almost every lead would be safe. Theo has to do this, he just has to. Make guys like Ellsbury and Buchholz untouchable, but after that do not be afraid to give up unknowns for knowns. Go get the guys that have done it in the past and WILL do it for you in the future. Take a page on out Ainges brand new play book and take a chance. And if you does not work, you can take your chair made of money and gorilla suit with you to another team.

No comments: