Monday, July 23, 2007

Shut your MOUTH, Steve Phillips

Right now Amy and I are watching the Red Sox v. Indians games on ESPN. This is unfortunate because if we could watch it on NESN then we could listen to Jerry Remy actually analyze a game. Instead we are forced to listen to the bumbling fool, Steve Phillips. Let me give a little bit of an introduction to why it is the World Wide Leader in Sports would hire this man as an analyst. Steve Phillips was a Career minor leaguer who never, ever showed any promise. In 1997 the New York Mets foolishly hired him as General Manager and he went to throw tons of money at Mo Vaughn who played a total of 166 games with 29 Homeruns and and 87 RBI. I believe they are still paying that ridiculous contract. Pretty much Phillips has never excelled at ANYTHING in his baseball life.
Ok, now that we got that out of the way let me tell you some of what the genious analysis has given out tonight. Early in the game Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia grounded out and he seen angrily talking to himself because he had gotten out. Steve Phillips goes on to give us this nugget, "This is why Pedroia is a great major league hitter, because he yells at himself and he is angry." He continued to tell us why a player who yells at himself is better. WHAT!?!?!? It has nothing to do with the fact that Pedroia has a great batters eye, who hits to all fields, who practices at his craft and who at every level as hit???? No, my friends, it is because he yells at himself.
Later in games Manny Ramirez thought he had a Homerun and did not run it out and ended up with deep single. This would lead to JD Drew hitting into a double play. Did Manny make a mistake? You bet he did. BUT is it something that should be talked about 3 innings later? I am going to go with HECK NO! Does a double with noone out mean an automatic run? You do have a good chance of scoring, but it does not automatically mean you will score. Well our resident mastermind thinks so, "Manny being Manny(by the way noone says this anymore except the four letter network) strikes again. By not hustling there he did two things. Cost them a run and creates problems in the clubhouse. He would have scored there and now noone wants to talk to him at all. (Cameras show dugout as Manny jokes with several players). That is not Championship Caliber baseball." Unless Manny was going to hit an inside the park homerun he did not cost them a run. What he did was stupid but he did NOT cost them a run! How does this cause problems in the clubhouse? Do players really care about this stuff? I am going to go with not so much. By how much the players were talking to him and joking with him right after the play and 3 innings later, I am going to guess they do not care about this stuff as much as Phillips, a former professional farm hand, swears they do. Also, Manny does not play "Championship Caliber Baseball"???? REALLY?!?!? REALLY!?!?! The ring on his finger and the World Series MVP trophy on his mantle tell me and every other knowledgable baseball that he does.
There are many more stupid things that Phillips has said in this game and will say throughout his illustrious career and I give you my word that I will keep you updated on his nauseating remarks.

2 comments:

James Evans said...

Amen, I feel your pain! I too miss Remy and good ol' NESN. I think we should move back to New England together just for that reason. Maybe we should move to Bristol and take over ESPN. Take your pick. GO SOX!!!

Sue Utley said...

Hi Sam,

Your blog is interesting, but I worry about your stress level over the Red Sox! Hope all is well with you and your family. I visited Amie's blog site - the pictures of Grace are cute. She has really grown! It is going to be so strange to go back to the U and not have any classes with you -but I'll deal with it. It's hard to believe Spanish is behind us - Hurrah! Now, if I can just survive math it will be all downhill to graduation. I'll be graduating from college and filing for social security at the same time! Better late than never, I suppose. Have a good year at NCU.

My best to you and your family,

Sue U.