Friday, September 14, 2007

My final comments of CameraGate

First off, I will let Bill Simmons tell you all how I fell,

"That reminds me, everyone's talking about the other teams and implying they were the victims. What about Pats fans? How did we deserve this? Our favorite team cheated, we lost a No. 1 pick, our coach pulled the football version of the Watergate break-in, our entire mini-dynasty has been tainted according to the outside world. ... Seriously, what did we ever do other than support a perpetually crappy franchise with a bad stadium for years and years and years? Do you think we wanted any of this to happen? All week, I almost felt like I did something wrong just because I rooted for these guys. Well, no more. Call them cheaters, call them villains, call them the evil empire, but it's still my team. You can't disown your team just because it does something sleazy, just like you can't disown a close family member for doing something sleazy. Your team is your team. I hate what happened, I think it has been terribly overblown, we paid the price, and we're moving on."

I love how people hated the Pats before and would say things like, "They have always been good. It is time for someone else." These people do not know much about football history. The Pats record during the time I lived in New Hampshire was 47-80! Does that sound good to you? They were awful, awful, awful. I realize that now they are cheaters and I hate it. I am glad that got caught and I glad they have been punished, but do not give the fans a hard time for this. We suffered through an awful team for years. We do not deserve this. Do not hate us...hate Belichick, but not us.

As for the punishment, I think it was a bit light. But not for the same reason others might think. I am not sure that suspending Belichick would have done any good. He would still be able to coach the team all week and could still draft up the teams plays. The fine for him was just right, because it was the most he could give. BUT, the light part is taking away a first round draft pick. The Pats never really use their first rounders. They always get their big names later. They even trade their first rounders away. This does not hurt them. I would have taken away all of their 2nd day picks. Seriously, that would have hurt them more. And those are my final thoughts.

No comments: